we will occupy the vermont state house lawn oct. 17-19
The September Global Climate Strike Week was an amazing expression of the urgency of this moment in humanity’s history. Now it’s time to escalate the climate justice movement to the next level!
In collaboration with Vermont youth, community organizations, businesses, and concerned individuals, Extinction Rebellion Vermont is organizing a Youth, Migration, and Agriculture Climate Encampment from October 17-19 at the Vermont State House in Montpelier. We need everyone involved! Join us in this youth-conceived, nonviolent, and un-permitted action to address the climate emergency and build community resilience.
This is an BORDERLESS action. Please invite ALL your friends and colleagues from everywhere!
What We’ll Do
Download the XR_Climate_Encampment_Guide!
The encampment will begin October 17 at 4:00 p.m. and end October 19 at 4:00 p.m.
- Tent encampment set up and inhabited by youth and allies (Thursday and Friday nights)
- Farmers bring in livestock, composting center, native plantings
- Youth Climate Strike on Friday
- Workshops on Friday: agriculture, migrant justice, re-skilling, scientists, etc.
- Evening community dinner with bands and dance party both nights
- Art builds
- Adults prep and serve food
- Faith communities provide support in form of food, resources
- Break camp, with all cleaned up on afternoon of 10/19
Why We’re Doing It
(by CS, a high school sophomore)
The climate crisis is bringing extreme weather events that impact economic and food systems in the global south. This has already resulted in migration that is becoming a humanitarian crisis. We know that food and economic systems in the global north will also be affected by extreme weather. Farming in the US has already been impacted by weather this year.
Young people in Vermont understand that our futures are at stake, and are working toward a just transition away from fossil fuels that includes a focus on front line communities including immigrants. We need to create local food systems to address food and economic security for those who live here and for those who are seeking refuge.
how to join in
Ways to get involved
- Volunteer yourself or your organization using this signup form
- Share the Facebook event page
- Distribute this poster (contact us if you’d like your organization’s logo added to the poster)
- Youth: sign up for the Youth Action Alliance support list!
- Make a monetary donation to the effort
- Support is pouring in, but check out our list of needs — below is a sample of what we need:
- Food donations
- Large-scale cooking equipment
- Extra camping materials, from tents to tarps
- Electronic equipment, public address systems
- Waste/compost bins
What to bring to camp
- Cold weather camping gear: a tent, sleeping bag and pad, layers, hat and gloves, and weather appropriate gear (if you do not have this gear but want to participate, contact us)
- Your own dishes, cup, water bottle and utensils
- Food for your lunches (Friday and Saturday)
- Snacks and personal dietary needs
- Folding camp chair
- Blank t-shirt for screen printing
- If possible, food to contribute to community meals
What not to bring to camp
General Encampment Meetings
These Montpelier-based planning meetings are open to individuals and representatives of community groups who want to help. Contact us if you want to attend by video or phone.
- Tuesday, October 15: 5:30-8:00, Rural Vermont office
- Wednesday, October 16: 6:00-8:00, Kellogg-Hubbard Library
Youth-Only Planning Meetings
Open to all youth 12 – 24
- Thursday, October 10: TBA
- 350 Vermont Burlington Node
- Building a Local Economy (BALE)
- Center for Transformational Practice
- Community Resilience Organizations (CROs)
- Grow Compost
- Hillside Botanicals
- Institute for Social Ecology
- Jewish Voice for Peace
- Kikon N’dakina Grassroots Center
- The Make
- Middlebury Natural Foods Co-op
- Middlebury Sunday Night Environmental Group
- Migrant Justice/Justicia Migrante
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont
- The People’s Kitchen
- Protect Our Wildlife Vermont
- Revolutionary Potluck Society
- Rights & Democracy Vermont
- Rural Vermont
- Salvation Farms
- Soil4Climate Vermont
- Sunrise Burlington
- Sunrise Middlebury
- Vermont Cannabis Nurses Association
- Vermont Coalition for Ethnic and Social Equity in Schools
- Vermont Yankee Decommissioning Alliance
- Vermonters for Justice in Palestine
- Women’s March Vermont
- Youth Action Alliance